PIVOT
Another pday come way too fast. This week I wanted to share a thought. And some pictures of course. Last weeks soul sisters turned into this weeks sweaty sisters.
I grew up with basketball coaches always telling me to pivot and teaching me that important technique so that I could better read my opponents, fulfill my role in the post, and make the moves I would need to make in order to score (without traveling of course). It started with the ultimate coach, my Dad. Then the skill was taught and worked on with coach McMurray in Champs, Coach Heggie on that first team, and all the way through high school to Senior year with Coach Shell (Shelley Quinton). I'm grateful for every school and spring league coach, both of my team and of opposing teams, who took time out of their lives to help me develop and learn skills that are still blessing me today and will continue to for the rest of my life. The other day in MLC (a missionary meeting) I was taught again how important it is to pivot, but in a different place and in a different way. President Collins stressed the need for a "pivot" as we, the pioneers of this newfound way to do missionary work during the COVID-19 pandemic, go about our work and make plans to prepare for the future. The word wouldn't leave my mind, and I've thought a lot about it. The idea behind pivoting is that you are allowed to move and turn when you have the ball as long as one of your feet stays firmly planted and in place. Once your Pivot foot is established, you can then rotate around that foot. By doing this, you can better read your defender and gain an advantage over them, thus finding the best avenue towards the hoop to score. By pivoting, you are able to access and use skills and moves that you have already worked hard in practice to develop, and open doors to put them to good and new use. A player who pivots is highly more useful and effective than one who does not know the importance of the technique and therefore limits their ability and possibility.
Though the world around us has flipped upside down in multiple ways, our purpose as missionaries and members of Christ's church has not changed. It is the exact same. Our pivot foot needs to be firmly planted in Christ, keeping Him and His gospel at the center. We still find, teach, and baptize in order to bring others closer to Him. God's work is the same, and He still needs our dedication and devotion to that work the same, if not greater, than before. The way that we go about this work HAS changed and IS changing and WILL CONTINUE to evolve and change as God sees fit until the day in which the great Jehovah returns and tells us "The work is done." This is a pivotal time in the history of the Church and the world as a whole. This last general conference was designated as a HINGE POINT and we were told that our part was vital. We as missionaries are being asked to stay inside and work from our apartments or the church. I haven't knocked a door in months, or born testimony in person, but yet it is the same spirit confirming our words over the phone that did back when we used to be in living rooms. The majority of our finding is being directed towards social media and we are finally working through members like Preach my Gospel has taught us all along because they are our only hope. Elder Bednar's prophetic promise that the work of Salvation would turn into a FLOOD due to technology is really coming into play and being fulfilled and I am seeing for the first time how crucial technological advancements are to the gathering and how this has been God's purpose for our devices since the very first inventions of human history! I am so grateful that God is showing us new ways to use our skills and talents to spread His gospel throughout the world. I am determined to be coachable and have a flexible mindset so that the spirit can help me see God's purpose in all the changes that have and will come about and so that I can receive revelation and creative ideas on how I can play my part in this historic pivot in sharing the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I was prepared and saved for this time, and so were you. We are His finest team that President Nelson talks about. I challenge you to pray and ask that you can know what your individual part in all of this is, because we all have one! Otherwise, we wouldn't be here right now. Then, start pivoting!
And for all the teamers back home... #WHATITTAKES #STAYINTHEMOMENT
- Sister Hardy






Comments
Post a Comment