Jamaica • Cuba • Japan

For the record I had a plan to keep this short, but then I thought of 3 really cool experiences that I can't not share. But I really want to write a letter for my Dad because his birthday was last week and I'm already late so I don't have much time to respond today! First of all, I got to go on an exchange with my "daughter" (I hate mission lingo) SISTER FAIRBANKS and after a year of not seeing each other let me tell you that was the best day of both of our lives. We went to visit a returning member in a care facility and as soon as the door opened the woman who ran the facility said "do you have a book for me?" ... we pulled out the Book of Mormon and she said "yeah that one!" Apparently she has been watching this returning member read it all day every day and seen first hand how it has changed both his attitude and personality for the better. Coolest thing though is that she is from JAMAICA and when she was growing up over there they were taught to run from the missionaries because they were told that the Americans were there to steal them and sacrifice them to their God.... we assured her that that was not true and since she is going back home next week we met her just in time and hooked her up with the missionaries in Jamaica who she is so excited to go and learn more from! Those Elders have a good one coming! I think it's about time for me to tell you about two of my favorite people I've ever taught. First of all: Demi, from JAPAN. Sister Proctor, from Brazil speaks very little English. One day while she is walking her dog the spirit tells her to go invite this random lady on the other side of the street to church. So in her broken English, she does, and somehow Demi who speaks only Japanese understood and came with her to church! Now we are teaching her (with a translator of course) and it is so much fun to look up materials and make visuals in Japanese! She literally had no belief or background in either God or Jesus Christ, so that was special for me to teach such a basic belief. We gave her a picture of Jesus and told her she could put it up in her room if she wanted and she was very concerned because she didn't want him to see her naked... haha needless to say the picture is on her living room wall instead. Baby steps. And the other is Roberto, from CUBA. Not too long ago he had an experience where his father who passed away visited him and told him that all these years that he's been gone from this life he had been in "school", and that he has finally learned enough to move on. He said he came to say goodbye until Roberto had learned all that he learned. We just taught him about the spirit world and how it works and he has been very prepared to receive the gospel in so many ways. He has a strong catholic background though so it isn't easy for him to accept everything. But he loves the Book of Mormon and the spirit converts! Also my comp dropped a curling iron on her ankle (don't ask) and has a 3rd degree burn. I am her nurse and I think I can skip the next 4 years of school and just get my RN title. I'm having too much fun playing doctor. Well thanks for reading my book again, I have been seriously slacking at journaling so that is what my emails have become. You are champs if you read these every week, and I hope and pray that something of my experiences touches your heart and strengthens your testimony and desire to feel the joy of being a missionary like they do for me each and every week. I love you all! 1. Nurse Hardy in action 2. SISTER FAIRBANKS my best friend in this world. 3. Our new Jamaican friend! (I cannot say nor type her name) - Sister Hardy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday February 6, 2019

February 12, 2019

THE DISTRICT - Episode 1