MIRACLES
Ok there have been so many miracles here in the Peoria area of Arizona! The first one started with sister Ashby as my companion. She is such a consecrated hard working , obedient missionary, and apparently her whole mission has just been full of hard companionships. Ans so president promised her that he would give her the strongest, hardest working missionary for her last transfer. Apparently when we got to the mission office he went up to her and said "I've got your new companion chosen already she just got here have you seen her yet? You'll know." At this point I had only said two words to him and those were "hi president." Haha but he did tell me later in our meeting that me that the second he saw me he knew exactly what to do with me.
Our area is the only bike area in the whole mission and literally we bike all day long every day. My legs are constantly Jello but it's so fun and I wouldn't have it any other way. It is a struggle to ride in a dress but that's what makes it fun. So far I've just been using the bike that was left here and has gone through a couple sisters, but it's not very good. It does its job and is teaching me patience but is a little small for me so I think that's why it burns so much to ride every day. It also has saran wrap holding the seat together so it looks real good We are going to get me a bike of my own later today. I just had to wait til pday to worry about myself because the rest of the days I could care less about the bike as long as it gets me to the people I need to teach and meet.
The first day after the trainer/trainee meeting where I met sister Ashby I we loaded my bags and the first thing we did was head to a lesson with a new person. I was so nervous because all of a sudden it was real and I had no time to prepare myself. His name is Ashton and we taught him about the restoration. I felt prompted to bear my testimony about the book of mormon at the end. And did, and after that sister ashby pointed out what feeling the spirit is like and he said that he really felt it while I was talking. It was powerful and so so cool to feel the spirit working through me. After that sister ashby was so excited because she said she's never had a companion that's just thrown herself into he teaching like that. We seriously make such a good team.
Keep in mind that in all of these stories while I'm teaching or talking I have no voice. Somehow everyone I talked to though was able to understand me and what the spirit wanted them to hear. I told elder Harris that (hes like our mission dad) and he said that that was the gift of tongues at work. So that was pretty cool that I'm still able to experience that even though I'm speaking English.
Last night we had a lesson with a girl named claudia in which everything clicked. She asked what makes our church different from the rest of them so we taught her about the restoration and the priesthood power specifically. I think that is my favorite lesson to teach. She asked questions that lead directly into what the spirit wanted us to teach and was basically bearing her testimony to us the whole way through. At the end we asked her what she thought about everything and she said "oh I know it's TRUE. I knew it was all true when you first walked in my door." We invited her to be baptized, and she said she wants to buy us not ready yet. She also went keep any commitments so we have high Hope's for her but she needs to put in the work herself!
When I say we are teaching so many people I mean like SO many people! Like we have 20 that we are teaching. Like 4 or 5 lessons a day. It's Insane. Apparently this area was dead before sister Ashby got here. And apparently the work in our area has just enhanced since I got here! Seriously I've been so blessed to have the very best start to my mission.
We invited like 20 people to church and the whole time I was just so anxious and excited for them to get there we got there early and saved like a whole row and sister ashby just kept laughing at me and I wasn't sure why... and then only one person showed up to church and it was exciting but she was just laughing at me be abuse she's used to the disappointment of nobody showing up to church now and I literally expected 10 people to walk through those doors and only one of them did. Sister moulin (from France and pronounced moulaw. She lives in our same apartment alone with her companion sister Prien. I love them both) she says to me "wow! Your first disappointment.. congrats!" Hahahaha ot was so funny. So far my mission has been full of highs and not really any lows yet. Elder Harris doesn't think I'll have any lows, he says "i dont think you'll hit the emotional rollercoaster and have the tough start that most missionaries do... you already get it" i asked him what "it" was and he said "you already understand that this is not about you. Youre 18 months ahead of most missionaries. You'll have hard times, but I dont think you'll hit that low point at all." Super nice of him and very encouraging and we will see! As of right now I'm doing really really good. I feel like I've been here for a year Instead of a week but it's been the best year of my life!
Yesterday we went to the harris' for dinner after church and it felt like a normal Sunday dinner at home and it was so nice. They are called as the assistants to the mission presidents so they basically do everything. They just minister to all the missionaries and they live right across from us so we get extra ministered to by them. I love her so much and they've saved my life while being here.
Our apartment is soooo nice it's a complex and theres palm trees everywhere and this huge really nice pool that is so tempting but I will never be able to use but like for missionaries we are living large! And those we teach range from richer than rich to trailer park ghetto and I love all of the variety.
Sister ashby and I had a tender moment last night as we were talking and she's the biggest leader here in the APM (ARIZONA PHOENIX MISSION) yet she's always hated it because she feels like she always leads alone and had to drag her companion along with her. She's learned a lot of patience and has never had a companion who would lead along side her so when I told her I didn't only want to keep up with her, but run along side her she burst into tears and was so happy. Seriously she goes HARD. and to pushes and stretches me every day and I wouldn't have it any other way. She's amazing.
Congrats on your games Brookie and Dad! And Mya, your English project looked amazing! Dane president Collins has a son that is your age and he is like exactly you! I think that's a huge part of the reason I felt so at home here right off the bat. Dad I keep thinking of you as I'm out here riding my bike and living missionary life! And mom whenever I'm tired or worn out, I think "my mom would keep working harder and not complain." You all are still helping me even though I'm far away!
Anyways we've got work to do and have got to get back on the grind tonight!! I'm so exhausted but keep finding the strength and its awesome. I LOVE AND MISS YOU ALL!!
- Sister Hardy
Comments
Post a Comment